Monday, January 18, 2021

Mom's Magic Toast

When I was 22 years old I started working as school bus driver. That job had a few key benefits. The pay was enough to support me and my young son and I could bring my son to work with me. I won't forget the winters when I had to get up early and get us both bundled up and out the door before 6 am. I would carry my sleeping son in a log of blankets and somehow strap him into a car seat in the back. When we got to the bus barn I would start the bus and wait for it to warm up before depositing him still in log-blanket shape in the seat behind me. 

The driving was the fun part. It was a thrill to be the biggest vehicle on the road at the earliest hour of the morning. Of course the dealing with 50 plus children was the challenging part. I had no idea how to discipline 50 students with my back to them. I still don't! 

By the time I had made all the stops and just as I was getting close to the school my son would would wake up. He would poke his little bed head hair and chubby face from the seat behind me. The school kids would get him to parrot rap lines back at them.

Once at the school the magic bag of toast would appear. This was also apart of the morning ritual. I would toast two slices of bread with butter and hippy flakes (Braggs Nutritional Yeast) for him to eat to not get too grumpy. He would happily munch away after the other kids were off the bus.

Funny thing is he is nearly 18 and I still make Mom's Magic Toast upon request. I've updated the recipe to now include "everything but the bagel" seasoning from Trader Joe's. Its the more adult version of a very simple recipe that has gotten us through many hungry moments. 

Do you have a simple go-to magic recipe that you use on the hungry bodies in your life?

2 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely story. I can totally see little J's head peaking out of the log blankets. Love you mama! And I'm inspired to eat some toast now

    ReplyDelete

Open Mic

Its been a relentless construction season and I haven't been able to prioritize blogging. I have prioritized positive thinking though. S...