Sunday, January 9, 2022

Window Problems

There's condensation on my windows and I can feel a draft coming in from the cold January air. In keeping with my resolution to do home improvements and blog about them I check the window next to me to see if it has storm window in it. Alas, I have left the screen in the window, but luckily a quick swap out gets my office window winterized. First step taken, but what about the other windows in my house? I do a quick check and some never had their screens in them to begin with so that job is done. Kitchen windows are not latched all the way so I get the step stool and secure them. 

I go up to the bedroom in the cold attic. I often leave the windows open even when there's air conditioning on because it gets really stuffy in the summertime. Its cold now, but I assume that is because of the need for insulation in the attic (another blog post coming soon). I pull away the curtain and gasp... the window hasn't been closed and the screen window has iced over. Shoot, darn, and call me a hypocrite!

In sustainable design we spend a lot of time on the selection of quantity and quality of windows and insulation. I'm feeling my most millennial self in declaring that I have window problems, but the larger problem we face with windows (glazing) is that they are conductors of temperature (even when closed). So while a building with a lot of exterior glazing might be flashy it causes a lot of energy consumption over the course of the building's life. Imagine having plastic panels punched into your winter jacket!

In sustainable design we also spend a lot of time on ventilation systems - another function of windows. Turns out these windows that open at the top and bottom are supposed to function as a ventilation system in the summer. Crack the top part 3" and let the warm air out and crack the bottom part another 3" and let the cooler air in. Why on earth am I just learning this now? 

I have a 30 year mortgage, but no established game plan for regular maintenance. I found an app that I can use to program reminders for regular home maintenance and am happy to say I've got my windows schedule for 90 days from now. What reoccurring maintenance item have you been pushing off that is a potential "window problem" in your life? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Open Mic

Its been a relentless construction season and I haven't been able to prioritize blogging. I have prioritized positive thinking though. S...