Saturday, January 2, 2021

World Building

 As we pass through the holiday season we've been connecting with people via virtual calls. Its been a nice way to stay connected and check in with people we haven't been able to see in person this year. Conversations seem to focus on the highs and lows of the past year. The holiday season can be rough and I think we were all feeling that a little bit this year. That being said I have a lot to be grateful for this year. My son has matured in a way that I have long dreamed about. He is taking responsibility for his actions and it feels amazing to witness the successful development of him into a young adult. I'm so grateful to be in my own home with him and my dog and cat. We have comfort and joy in our lives and we don't even have to leave our own living room. When I was a student at the university I would dream about moments like this. I can say that the reality is better than anything I could have imagined. 

I had an unexpected job change mid-year. With the job change came new responsibilities. Design work was handed to me. I didn't have to negotiate for it. I didn't have to pay any dues. It was just here you go. All yours. 

What do I love about design? I love the whole process. Its an art form of its own kind. On the grandest of days I am a sculptor who works in the medium of dirt, trees, land, and pipes. On my humblest of days I am a diplomat between owner, architect, and city. Of course, the final product is the best reward. When a project goes from plan to reality and you can walk the site and see the details that were intimately drawn it is a small, but thrilling feeling.

Its literal 'world building' which is a term I learned from studying how to write fiction. I think all of us are thinking about world building in one sense or another. 2021 shines like a beacon on the horizon and we can all imagine something that we want to see this new world to look like. Whether it be a world free of violence or greed or environmental catastrophe. We are being an offered a chance to rebuild. What does your new world look like?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Open Mic

Its been a relentless construction season and I haven't been able to prioritize blogging. I have prioritized positive thinking though. S...